Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 06:20:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
News
NEXTerra Night Run!  April 6, 2013.  See the USA - East forum for information
Stats
104430 Posts in 8773 Topics by 2793 Members
Latest Member: stephenbd69
Search:     Advanced search
* Home forum Search Calendar Help Login Register
+  Nissan Offroad
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Nissan Fixing and Tweaking
| | |-+  Frontier Problems and Solutions (Moderator: Casey)
| | | |-+  Gas tank air lock
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gas tank air lock  (Read 3267 times)
Durango
Grasshopper

Gas tank air lock
« on: March 04, 2007, 02:59:45 PM »

Hey Gang,
Anyone experience this? I have been having trouble getting the tank full the last few fill ups. I have tried different stations, different nozzels and I cannot figure this out. Each time I go to fill up I get a few liters in the the auto stop feature on the gas nozzel engages. I press the nozzel again and get a few more liters and it happens again. It takes about a dozen or so "presses" for me to fill up the tank...more frustrating that anything else...suggestions?

I Like Everything Fast! Trucks, Sleds and Women!
98nismo
Purple Jeeper Eater
TrailBoss

Re: Gas tank air lock
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 04:35:51 PM »

I dont know how or why this hapens but I know someone else has posted this before on the old board unless that was you...? you can search around on there.

A local 4x4 fourm check it out and say hi we're all friendly
 www.pacific-crawlers.com
Kyle
TrailBoss

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 04:59:25 PM »

Could be the vent hose running up to the t-fitting near the mouth of your filler neck plugged. Try taking it out and blowing some compressed air through it.

THROW A FISH AT HIM!
Durango
Grasshopper

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 12:52:22 AM »

I searched over on the old board and could not find it. I know that I was going to post the same topic but I cannot remember if I did or not. This has actually been an on-going problem with this truck (not that it is much after 4 years) ever since I bought it. I usually put up with it, but lately it has been pissing me off.

I Like Everything Fast! Trucks, Sleds and Women!
swampwrecker
Organizer Extraordinaire
TrailBoss

2000 Xterra SE 4x4

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 01:59:02 PM »

It happens to me from time to time.  It happened alot on my last trip.  Some gas stations have pumps that you can adjust the gas flow through the nozzle, I found setting it at a little slower flow rate stopped the problem.  You just have to wait longer to fill up.  On my 1987 Maxima it happened a lot.  I'm not sure why it happens.

-Michael

2" BL, 1.5" PML, 33" Boggers, Skids, Sliders, Lights, GPS, CB

East Coast Xterra Challenge | Four Green Feet
kylesj
Grasshopper

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 03:08:57 PM »

I have been dealing with the same problem and my dealer is being a bitch. they don't want to tell me how to fix just replace this and try this. well screw the trying b/s i want answers. did you ever get yours fixed. my truck is also throwing the code p1444 at the same time this is happening. someone help me with this problem
mjbgman
TrailBoss

NOAS Member, NORA Member

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 04:19:51 PM »

Try using gallons instead of litres icon_smile_evil_laugh icon_smile_duh icon_smile_evil_laugh

I came here to chew bubble gum and kick {edit}, and I'm all out of bubble gum...
porsche996
Moderator - The Original Resident A$$hole
TrailBoss

1858+

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 04:32:32 AM »

If I'm not mistaken (which I probably am), this happens when the lines to/from the charcoal canister get clogged up with mud or other things.

OffroadX
One Whom Trees Fear
TrailBoss

7617 original NOR posts, nyah!

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 01:39:10 PM »

What year is your truck?  There was a recall on the fuel tank shutter valve for this problem.

2001 NISSAN FRONTIER, XTERRA; VOLUNTARY RECALL CAMPAIGN FUEL TANK SHUTTER VALVE REPLACEMENT
Nissan has determined that on some 2001 model year Nissan Frontier and Xterra vehicles, there is a possibility that the fuel tank inlet shutter valve may not meet the sealing performance specification. Under certain conditions such as high ambient temperature and when winter grade gasoline is being sold, fuel may spill from the filler inlet as the tank is being filled. If this should occur in the presence of an external ignition source, a fire could
result. To prevent this condition from occurring, Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Safety Recall Campaign to replace the fuel tank inlet shutter valve with a new one.

Eat your Jello with a straw!  (really, try it!)

When did you last check your spare tire pressure?
snzip
TrailBoss

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 06:04:43 PM »

Sometimes, but not always this happens to me. I do one of three things, or maybe all three things at once: 1) pull the nozzle out a little ways. Generally this works.   2) pump the gas in at a slower rate. I know this has been suggested before.   3)turn the gas nozzle upside down. I know this is weird, but it works........         Also, I've noticed that if I get it feeding the gas in, after a few seconds, or maybe a minute, I can steadily increase the flow........                  Dean
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: