Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 12:45:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
News
NEXTerra Night Run!  April 6, 2013.  See the USA - East forum for information
Stats
104420 Posts in 8773 Topics by 2793 Members
Latest Member: stephenbd69
Search:     Advanced search
* Home forum Search Calendar Help Login Register
+  Nissan Offroad
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Nissan Fixing and Tweaking
| | |-+  Hardbody Problems and Solutions (Moderators: NissanNut, SMITHTONU02)
| | | |-+  transfer case rear seal leak...AGAIN!..
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: transfer case rear seal leak...AGAIN!..  (Read 3531 times)
91NCHRDBDY
Grasshopper

transfer case rear seal leak...AGAIN!..
« on: February 09, 2009, 03:46:24 PM »

Hey everybody,
     Well for the 3rd time within a year and a half I am in the process of changing the rear seal in my transfer case (where the drive shaft connects to case). Working with a '91 Hardbody 4x4 5 spd pushing 165K. Noticed a little bit of fluid leakage the last couple of days, making a puddle no bigger than a 50 cent piece. Was the usual redish color but today seemed to be like a strawberry milkshake..moisture being drawn through the seal? In the past, the seal has come from advanced auto or auto zone but this time Im going with a Nissan seal, just wasnt able to make it there in time before they closed this evening. My question is, do yall think the problem is in the quality of the seal or should I be looking at other possible sources to cause the leak? Do yall go with swear by nissan seals, bearings, etc.? What kind of fluid are yall running in yalls transfer case? Im tired of doing this about every six months or so and can have the shaft, dust cover, and seal out within 10 minutes-thats how often Ive had to do it..lol..Preciate the help yall!

Steve
ryanorr280
Mud Skipper

Re: transfer case rear seal leak...AGAIN!..
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 04:15:57 PM »

i havent really had much experience with the aftermarket seals, so on that i dunno.  i do recomend factory parts typically however, they usually fit better, even though they are made by the same people most the time, lol.  i run dexron atf in mine, while you have it out, check where the seal rides on the slip yoke on the shaft for a ring worn into it, i have seen it on other oil leaks, it could be worth checking.  also if you have an extreme angle on the shaft, or if it is out of balance it may cause problems.  as far as the milkshake looking oil, i would drain and fill it, and check for anything unusual.  hope that helps

if you don't break it, your not wheelin it!
dtaylor05
Mud Skipper

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 09:10:23 PM »

how tough is it to replace that seal?

1996 Hardbody 4x4
1998 Land Rover Discovery

www.maine4x4.org
Inyourface1650
The LIGHT! It Draws me IN!
TrailBoss

suckin' gas, haulin' {edit}-and not going very fast

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 09:55:25 PM »

pry off with screw driver, tap new one in. didnt I just see this thread somewhere else?

1994 Pathfinder 4x4.  AC 3 inch suspension lift, 2 inch body lift, Calmini Steering, Shrock Sliders, Rancho 9000xls, 33" BFG A/T's, distinct lack of swaybars,  30Klbs tranny cooler, 110 amp alt, FM 50, Junk CAI, dual gas cans, 1500w inverter, Alpine F-200 amp, Uniden 520XL. BustaCap Equipped
dvdswan
TrailBoss

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 04:52:32 AM »

check the sleeve to see if it has a burr on it, use emery cloth to give it a smooth finish if it does.

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD KA24E
SAS'd, 35s, ARBs, 3-linked
PW PDL PM
porsche996
Moderator - The Original Resident A$$hole
TrailBoss

1858+

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 05:26:13 AM »

You have a 5 speed, so you should be using the SAME gear oil you use in your transmission in the t-case.  Reason being, if the seal between the two breaks down, you don't want ATF fluid going into your manual transmission and destroying it.... 

As for why your seals are going out so quickly...don't know.  I'd guess one of two things, either the splined shaft isn't smooth (like dvdswan mentioned), or you've got a bad u-joint at the t-case end that's causing the driveshaft to bounce around an awful lot.  BUT, I don't think it's the driveshaft, 'cause vibration that bad you'd feel in the cab, plus, there isn't a whole lot of movement the driveshaft can have at the slip-yoke end, anyways.  Might have bad bearings in the case, I guess, that would let the slip yoke bounce around as well, but I can't imagine that really happening without you feeling it  in the cab, either.

Honestly, and don't get offended, but I'd start to think install error if you've been through several of these in a short period of time.  If you aren't getting it perfectly & fully seated, and facing the right direction, they can fail in a hurry.  Little mistakes happen all the time, so just be absolutely certain it's getting put in properly.

No reason to use factory Nissan parts; Nissan doesn't make that part, they buy it from someone else, so there's no good reason for you to pay the marked-up Nissan price for it....  I never buy bearings and seals from an automaker unless it just isn't available somewhere else.  It's not worth the price. 

Case in point, carrier bearings inside the axle...  They're about $60 apeice from Nissan.  They're $24 apeice from Napa.  Exact same part made by the same factory; just remove the bearing and pull the numbers off the race, and viola!  instant savings...

91NCHRDBDY
Grasshopper

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 06:34:56 PM »

Well..Ive got it replaced and double checked myself to make sure the seal had a good seat and in the right direction before I put the dust cover back on and installed my shaft.

-Porche you are totally right: the seal that I got from Nissan was made from the exact same company and number as the seal I just pulled out yesterday, so a 6 dollar lesson learned for me not to go to nissan parts when you can get the same at autozone, napa, etc. As far as the fluid, I went with the haynes manual calling for ATF and after reading this, I believe I will change it because of the possible tranny/transfer case seal failure.

-The shift yoke where the seal rides seemed real smooth so Im thinking that wasnt the cause, no serious noise/vibration from cab and Im not sitting on a very extreme angle at all, probly less than what most of yall are running.

-As far as the removal and replacement of the seal, its quite easy: take out driveshaft, Mark dust cover and remove, then take a seal puller and pop it out. Free area of dirt, replace seal, then put dust cover back on in same position as previous (reason I say that is it may easily not line back up after the drive shaft is reinstalled and will cause the two to rub against each other...idk somthing I found) and change fluid...not too terribly tough. And I honestly havent seen anything on this subject in the forum so thats why I posted.

Fellas Im a big shadetree mechanic, far from a pro....so the install error could have been a big possibilty as Im not completely fluent just yet in Nissans...althought I have made some real good fixes on my old hardbody..Thanks everybody for your thoughts and imput..I learn alot from all of yall on this forum...
ryanorr280
Mud Skipper

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 06:13:43 PM »

hope it works well for ya this time, as far as the oil in the t-case, i believe that nissan manual says you can use either one, your choice, a little atf wont hurt the transmission, there is actually an old nissan technical bulletin about using it to thin down the gear oil for cold temperature shifting.

yepee
Mud Skipper

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 07:15:53 AM »

just a thought, could the atf be rotting the seal???
snzip
TrailBoss

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 08:06:03 AM »

I'd think how does atf affect the seals in the transmission?? Just a thought.......                Snzip icon_smile_question
sand bag
TrailBoss

I am Seņor SandBag, leader of the free posters.

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 10:55:30 AM »

Are you running a lot of lift?  Your angles could be too great on the u-joints... you may not necessarially feel a vib tho.  Your slip yoke could be wobbling just enough to oval out the seal.

See how much of the slip yoke is actually being engaged with the output shaft.  Of course, if you're running with a 2 piece driveshaft, this shouldn't matter, and maybe your carrier bearing is working on giving the ghost.

Wicked awesome '99 Frontier.  4wd converted and SAS'ed.  Truggy in progress (need to finish halo, A&B pillars), locked front and rear.  35x1250x15 BFG MTs.  Herculined interior.  Camo paint, and self built bumpers and sliders.  Calmini crawler gears.  Something is always changing, haha.
ryanorr280
Mud Skipper

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 02:55:46 PM »

the atf will not affect the seals, the seals are made of the same materials used for auto tranny seals, they are not all that different, just the sizes

91NCHRDBDY
Grasshopper

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 05:08:14 PM »

I dont think Im running too much lift on it..Its a stock spring over (a block added in there too I believe) which was like that when I bought it...32" BFG A/T's,..not that tall, as you can see in my profile pic and in the image gallery I just uploaded..Dont be hatin too much..first pics Ive posted of it on here.

I'll give the slip yoke a look and Im running a one piece drive

Preciate yall's help..
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: