Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 12:59:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
News
NEXTerra Night Run!  April 6, 2013.  See the USA - East forum for information
Stats
104453 Posts in 8778 Topics by 2793 Members
Latest Member: stephenbd69
Search:     Advanced search
* Home forum Search Calendar Help Login Register
+  Nissan Offroad
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Nissan Fixing and Tweaking
| | |-+  Hardbody Problems and Solutions (Moderators: NissanNut, SMITHTONU02)
| | | |-+  What's up with the rusty frames?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's up with the rusty frames?  (Read 5309 times)
mikelikestobike
Wheeler

What's up with the rusty frames?
« on: March 27, 2007, 04:42:06 AM »

My 1995 Hb's frame is pretty bad.  I'm working on a way to repair it.   

I've also been looking at buying a similar year Pathfinder, and I'm finding they have frame rusting problems as well. 

Were the frames not correctly protected?   Or is it simply age?    What have people on here done to repair theirs?

Former owner:  1995 Nissan HB 4x4.  Sold 6/11/07.  It was a good truck, but I needed more seats.

Now running a 4L Jeep Grand Cherokee.
me_95hardbody
Mud Skipper

Maine-It really is a state.

Re: What's up with the rusty frames?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 05:25:47 AM »

Weld, weld, weld. That's what I've done. Check out Ty's cardomain, he had to do a hell of a lot of welding on his..

Constantly lubricate your frame, Rust is like moss, it can't spread if you lubricate and spray it down constantly.

Best 500 dollars I ever spent!
95 Hardbody KingCab XE 4x4 V6 5spd
Custom K&N CAI
2.5" Stainless exhaust from the cat back
31x10.5 MT's on XE Alloys
More to come!
hardbodyty
Give Me A Ride And I'll Pay You The 4 Dollars
TrailBoss

West PA Xterra Club

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 12:11:04 PM »

yea...i did a crap load of rust repair on my truck...its just b.c d21 and wd21's are junk.  trust me, i would know hahahaha.  it just happens...they rust like mofos.  just gotta cut out the rust and weld in new pieces of steel

thank you NOR for causing me to throw thousands of my hard earned dollars into a cheap little truck that isnt worth half the money i put into it, making me break parts on it, and having me spend countless nights in the garage trying to fix it... I've loved everyt minute of it Big Smile
Ricochet
Hippies - They're Everywhere
TrailBoss

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 12:07:30 AM »

Do the more modern Nissan's have a rust problem?
I havent seen any on my 2000 yet, and I have lived in places where it snows alot and salt ans that liquid is used.

Ricochet: Pronunciation: 'rik-a-shay
Does your truck have a proper S.H.T.F. kit?
D21
Wheeler

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 05:42:42 AM »

My 1995 Hb's frame is pretty bad.  I'm working on a way to repair it.   

I've also been looking at buying a similar year Pathfinder, and I'm finding they have frame rusting problems as well. 

Were the frames not correctly protected?   Or is it simply age?    What have people on here done to repair theirs?

The problem is that you easterners dont comprehend that road salt kills vehicles, and fail to shell out a few bucks every year for a decent undercoat job.  What do you expect will happen?

BTW -- Dont bother messing with a pathy frame unless you're planning on spending alot of time on fab work.  They arent quite interchangeable.

Scott

86.5 SE-V6 4x4 KC
86.5 XE Longbed
91 Chevy C1500 Sport
94Hardbody4x4
Unstuckable
TrailBoss

If your truck is missing, my truck ate it.

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 07:07:36 AM »

I have no rust on my frame except for one spot about the size of a quarter where I always forgot to wash the mud off. The frames are fine in my opinion. It's the northerners and their insane idea of leying salt on the roads that has them uptight about the rust.

I just got done painting my entire frame about 2 weeks ago and it will certainly help. I suggest doing that once yuo get your rust problems fixed. Cost me a whopping $6.00 for 2 coats and it's holding up great.

1994 Nissan Pickup 4WD lowered with drag radials.

Vero Beach, FL
Ricochet
Hippies - They're Everywhere
TrailBoss

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 09:07:25 AM »

The problem is that you easterners dont comprehend that road salt kills vehicles,

We do comprehend salt kills metal on vehicles.
But most car/trucks dont come with ice skate wheels instead of tires. Maybe someone as smart as you has invited such a device? Because when its icy out, as of right now there's nothing that works better than salt on the roads.

Ive lived out west and the snow is much different in the east(most of the east).
We get very heavy and sloppy snow. With a lof of ice storms.
In the West you get really big snow flakes and its very dry, so driving on the road with a little car is easy and salt doesn't have to be used as much out there.

Ricochet: Pronunciation: 'rik-a-shay
Does your truck have a proper S.H.T.F. kit?
kev0153
TrailBoss

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 11:37:41 AM »

Paint Systems have improved a lot over the years.   They use to just dip those frames in wax as a form of protection.   Ford was still doing that just recently.    Now they use what is called E-Coat where they dip the whole frame in paint that is charged positve.  The frame is grounded negative and that causes the paint to get in to every nook and cranny.   A lot of compaines are going with galvanized steel to which helps.

That undercoating helps a little, mostly it is really expensive for what little extra boost youget..   What works better is just hosing off the salt residue consistently in the winter.
hardbodyty
Give Me A Ride And I'll Pay You The 4 Dollars
TrailBoss

West PA Xterra Club

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 01:05:20 PM »

We do comprehend salt kills metal on vehicles.
But most car/trucks dont come with ice skate wheels instead of tires. Maybe someone as smart as you has invited such a device? Because when its icy out, as of right now there's nothing that works better than salt on the roads.

yea im with ric.. everyone knows that salt rusts vehicles like crazy.  what else is there to be besies put down salt?  i guess we could cut up everyroad in the north east and put in some heated tubing... like they doin basements of houess to warm the concrete... hows that for an idea!

yea right... you can fix the frame... check out this link and see what i did mike... scroll a little more than halfway down to the page to see the frame repair... the page hasnt been updated in a long time so dont pay much attention to the rest of the mods on that page...most have been changed http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2158748/3

thank you NOR for causing me to throw thousands of my hard earned dollars into a cheap little truck that isnt worth half the money i put into it, making me break parts on it, and having me spend countless nights in the garage trying to fix it... I've loved everyt minute of it Big Smile
88pathoffroad
Junkyard Jedi
TrailBoss

1254+

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 02:07:06 PM »

My 88 has no rust whatsoever except in some scratches, and I've dunked it into the ocean a few times at the beach. We don't get salt on the roads in the winter, though.

A lot of the problems with frame rust stem from improper maintenance. The frame is supposed to be washed out often to prevent build-up inside, and in salted-road areas an oil spray is only common sense. The problem is, most people don't even think about it.

88 XE V6: 6+" of lift, 33x13.50 LTB's, L&P steering, Warn hubs, Lock-Right, etc...

Owner of NPORA, Mod for Nissan-Infiniti Forums, VGPowered Forums, Allnissans.com, NissanHelp.com and NissanForums.com
BinderNut
Mud Skipper

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 05:03:09 PM »

My 90 also has a rust free frame...checked that out good before I bought it.  But my body sheetmetal is going downhill fast!  It had dealer-applied undercoating to just the body, not the frame and I'm sure that's what started the body rot when it started to come loose.

My feeling on undercoating is that it works great until it starts to crack and flake off a few years down the road.  Then it just traps the moisture in even worse.  An occasional oil job on the underside in the winter works great for me.  Been doing that on my uni-body MoPars for years now and haven't had any serious rust pop up on any of those cars either.
mikelikestobike
Wheeler

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 03:09:40 PM »

I was just wondering if the Nissan's had more of a problem with it than others.

I was given this truck last year when my car died.   It wasn't running and had some body rusting problems.  I fixed those as best I could.  The frame is bad though.   The last place that put it up on a lift called me out there to look, the lift made the frame crack a bit.   They asked me how long the truck was parked in the ocean.    I know it probably wasn't taken great care of.  I don't think the former owner was one that worried about salt.

And like someone said above, frames aren't something most people think much about.

I will try to do some patching on it soon.

Former owner:  1995 Nissan HB 4x4.  Sold 6/11/07.  It was a good truck, but I needed more seats.

Now running a 4L Jeep Grand Cherokee.
DesertM
Wheeler

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 05:37:04 PM »

I got pretty lucky, I bought mine in CA and it hasnt a rust on it any where besides the dent on my hood.
WhistlerWzrd
Wheeler

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 07:49:25 PM »

All My Nissan's are saltier than a potato chip for 6 months of the year.
 the '91, got it undercoated, worked well for the first 7 years, but after that the peeling undercoat held moisture, sh#t and salt and rusted the frame faster, just did a weld job on the frame, the '99 had no undercoating and is fine so far, the '05 is showing light rust on bolts and the inside of the bumpers, all the vehicles get a fresh water wash whenever the temp is above freezing, above and below. 
WW

'91KCSEV6, '99Pathy, Flagship '05 FrontyKC NISMO 6Spd, K&N, in and Magnaflow out.
gotlift
Wheeler

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 06:06:46 PM »

i cant find any rust on my frame , its all still black undercoating. and it has 230K on it. I live in TN though.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: