Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 08:22:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
News
NEXTerra Night Run!  April 6, 2013.  See the USA - East forum for information
Stats
104285 Posts in 8760 Topics by 2794 Members
Latest Member: stephenbd69
Search:     Advanced search
* Home forum Search Calendar Help Login Register
+  Nissan Offroad
|-+  Forum
| |-+  Nissan Fixing and Tweaking
| | |-+  Pathfinder Problems & Solutions (Moderators: NissanNut, DYarbro97)
| | | |-+  sluggish..?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: sluggish..?  (Read 1497 times)
Firefighter89
Grasshopper

sluggish..?
« on: April 02, 2007, 07:18:40 AM »

Alright.  I've got a 1995 pathfinder V6 XE.

I just got it back up and running (bad fuel pump and clogged fuel filter) and now she's kinda running alright, but sluggish.  When I go to take off from a start, she seem VERY slow and sluggish and when I'm driving and I want to gain some more speed, I have to floor it to actually make her go anywhere.

Could this be my spark plugs?  O2 sensors?  or could it be my tranny is going bad?  Any help would be great.
Teknogaeque
TrailBoss

Re: sluggish..?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 09:11:18 AM »

G'mornin!  To answer your last three questions, a little more information would be useful.

If the engine's running poorly, bogging down and failing to generate much power, then you might need a tune-up.  You could consider plugs/wires/cap/rotor (always the easy stuff first).  You could check the timing to make sure it's right, check the fuel pressure to make sure the new pump is running right, make sure the flow through the fuel filter is the correct direction, etc...  You'd want to note whether you were losing power at idle, or at specific engine speeds, or only under load.

If it's an automatic tranny that's going bad, then the engine would probably be responsive; generating the right amounts of power, even when under load, but the power would just seem to be going nowhere.  (At least that's what they tell me; I don't drive auto trannies...)

I don't have answers, I just try to ask the right questions.  icon_smile_headscratch   Hopefully it's the right set of questions so that the more knowledgeable people here can get more info to work with.  More intelligent people: feel free to chime in anytime. icon_smile_evil_laugh
jberzins
Mud Skipper

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 03:03:21 AM »

i had the same problem with my 95 pathfinder, if its automatic it has something called a limp mode. meaning if their is a problem detected it forces the tranny to stay in third gear at all times, suppoused to stop other problems from occuring. if you want to see if this is the problem you can put it into 1 speed and see if it accelerates correctly. there is also a way to check codes to see if there is a problem in the auto tranny. i was about ready to order a new tranny when i checked codes and found i had a bad solenoid pack in the transmission. 100 dollar solenoid pack, couple hours of work and the truck can spin the back tires like it should. if i can give you anymore info, let me know.
88pathoffroad
Junkyard Jedi
TrailBoss

1254+

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 07:48:29 AM »

It's second gear, not third.

Check your ECU error codes first.

88 XE V6: 6+" of lift, 33x13.50 LTB's, L&P steering, Warn hubs, Lock-Right, etc...

Owner of NPORA, Mod for Nissan-Infiniti Forums, VGPowered Forums, Allnissans.com, NissanHelp.com and NissanForums.com
jberzins
Mud Skipper

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 03:33:08 PM »

sorry it probably is second, i thought it was third when in limp mode, either way it could be an easy fix depending on your codes
Firefighter89
Grasshopper

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 04:33:16 PM »

How can I check codes?
jberzins
Mud Skipper

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 05:23:45 AM »

there is a test in the factory manual
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »